Being sick is no fun, and strengthening your immune system is a much better approach to beating the common cold and other viruses than treating them after the fact.
While there are many ways to keep your immune system nice and strong, using a holistic approach with herbal remedies is an excellent and all natural way to help you ward off illness.
Your immune system is the body’s first line of defense against disease, and as a result, should be treated with absolute care.
According to HealthLine.com, bitters are an excellent way to boost your immune system, and can be mixed into a hot tea or other drink after you first wake up for maximum effectiveness.
If you’re curious as to what bitters actually are, Kitchn.com states that bitters are made from botanicals, such as herbs, bark, roots, and fruit. And yes — these are technically the same bitters that you may find in your favorite cocktail, however, in the case of immune-boosting benefits, the execution is a bit different.
HealthLine provides an excellent recipe featuring seven powerful herbs and spices to get that immune system back into is proper working order.
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 oz. dried astragalus root
- 1 oz. dried angelica root
- 1/2 oz. dried chamomile
- 1 tsp. dried ginger
- 1 tsp. dried orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. cardamom seeds
- 10 oz. alcohol (recommended: 100 proof vodka)
1. Start off by dissolving the honey into two teaspoons of boiling water, and let cool.
2. Next, mix the honey with the seven ingredients into a mason jar, and pour the alcohol on top.
3. Store the jar in a cool, dark place. Allow the mix to sit for approximately two to four weeks, shaking the jars about once a day.
4. When the mix is ready, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or similar filter, and store the strained mixture in an airtight container at room temperature.
(Recipe courtesy of HealthLine)
Ready. Set. Boss. Our daily email is pouring out inspiration with the latest #BlackGirlBossUp moments, tips on hair, beauty and lifestyle to get you on track to a better you! Sign up today.